CiteSeerX Alpha was launched in March 2008, a development of CiteSeer, the digital library and search engine for computer and information science. Similar in principle to the ISI Science Citation Index [SCI], CiteSeerX Alpha allows you to see how many times an article has been cited. Of course there are differences:
- Subject coverage is limited to computer and information science - so its not a substitute for the SCI
- It's free and no login required, but you do have to register to use MyCiteSeer
- CiteSeerX Alpha uses autonomous citation indexing to mine the web to create citation indexes - the developers argue that its more upto date, more comprehensive and easier to use.
Apart from the ability to search 810K documents and over 14 million citations, CiteSeerX Alpha offers a number of functions:
- MetaCart - a shopping cart for metadata
- MySiteSeer - create your own collections and add your own tags
CiteSeerX Alpha also gives you:
- The Number of times an article has been cited
- The Number of times articles in the bibliography have been cited - with a click through
- Active Bibliography (Documents that cite a similar set of documents)
- Co-Citation (Documents cited by a similar set of documents)
Note: as this is still an alpha version you will come across pages that say "To do".
CiteSeer (not updated since 2005)
Wikipedia Article on CiteSeer